Here are the highlights of my family history and genealogy related activities over the past week:
1) Hosted the Chula Vista Genealogical Society DNA Interest Group meeting on Wednesday in a Zoom meeting, with 14 attendees. We discussed the AncestryDNA changes – number of segments, longest segment addition (with the ongoing issues), and removing the 6 to 8 cM matches; the new Genetic Affairs AutoSegment feature; the Scott Fisher evaluation of envelope spit DNA; the Genetic Genealogu Tips and Techniques Facebook group.
2) Participated in Mondays With Myrt today. We discussed the California fires and my daughter’s evacuation, plus my Go Bag blog post; backing up and syncing your computer files; John Boeren found information about the Netherlands royal palace employees; Indexed records and digital microfilm records on FamilySearch; Liv watched a webinar on nb.no for Norwegian newspaper articles and found some for her ancestor.
3) Watched one Family Tree Webinar — "The Advance of Research Habits over Recent Decades — And the Downside," by Tom Jones.
4) Wrote and posted a biographical sketch of 7th great-grandfather #554 John Fisher (1677-1727) for my 52 Ancestors biographical sketch on Friday.
5) Transcribed the 1727 Inventory of the estate of John Fisher (1677-1727) of Medfield, Mass. for Amanuensis Monday. The real estate totaled £353.
6) Added one AncestryDNA ThruLines to my RootsMagic tree, and added Notes to 9 more AncestryDNA matches with cM values, relationships and known common ancestors. Ancestry added 164 new DNA Matches this past week, and MyHeritage added 17 new DNA matches. Reviewed new DNA matches on AncestryDNA, MyHeritageDNA, FamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe.
7) There were several sessions working in the RootsMagic software program to match with and update FamilySearch Family Tree profiles for Seaver families and my ancestral families, with occasional additions to the RootsMagic profiles. I have matched 37,131 of my RootsMagic persons with FamilySearch Family Tree profiles (up 98).
8) Used Web Hints and Record Matches from Ancestry, MyHeritage, Findmypast and FamilySearch to add content and sources to my RootsMagic profiles. I now have 58,706 persons in my RootsMagic file (up 100), and 125,705 source citations (up 111). I TreeShared with my Ancestry Member Tree two times this week updating 176 profiles, and I resolved 771 Ancestry Hints. I’ve fallen behind on the Ancestry Record Hints with 133,067 to be resolved, but I work on them almost daily.
9) Wrote 15 Genea-Musings blog posts last week, of which one was a press release. The most popular post last week was Saturday Night Genealogy Fun — Your Disaster Genealogy Go Bag with over 187 views.
10) Daughter Lori was evacuated from her home in Brookdale, California in the Santa Cruz mountains with her two sons, three cats and a fish, on Tuesday, stayed with friends in Monterey for 4 days, and drove to Chula Vista on Saturday to stay with us. The fire burned within half a mile of her home but was stopped at the ridge line to the west, and hopefully will be controlled soon. There is no estimate for them to go back, but it may be months rather than weeks.
11) We are still fine here at the Genea-cave, hunkered down and not going out much. I went to the grocery store on Monday and Friday, and it wasn’t too busy. We attended church with an outside service on Sunday. Other than that, it was stay-at-home on the computer doing genealogy, eating, sleeping and a little yard work, watching the Padres games, and reading a book I read a portion of back in 2002.
The URL for this post is: https://www.geneamusings.com/2020/08/monday-genea-pourri-week-ending-24.html
Copyright (c) 2020, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Genea-Musings https://www.geneamusings.com/
Posted On: August 24, 2020 at 06:26PM