Here are the highlights of my family history and genealogy related activities over the past week:
1) Hosted and moderated the Chula Vista Genealogical Society (CVGS) Research Group Meeting in a Zoom Meeting last Wednesday. We discussed the SCGS DNA and Genealogy Jamboree, Google Photos ending unlimited storage, the National Archives free genealogy fair, revisiting my "to be filed" folder, email correspondence on the Vaux family, writing ancestor sketches, and transcribing probate and land records.
2) Attended the San Diego Genealogical Society British Isles SIG meeting on Saturday in a Zoom webinar. Colin Whitney presented "Cemetery Records of the British Isles."
3) Attended the Whittier Area Genealogical Society (WAGS) program meeting on Saturday in a Zoom meeting. Rick Crume presented "Tree-Keeping: Genealogy Software vs. Online Trees."
4) Attended today’s Mondays With Myrt webinar. The panel discussed Serbian genealogy research, South Dakota State Library and other state archives, Evidence Explained Evidence process map, U.S. National Archives Citizen Archivist mission, Carte-de-visite, City Directories, guardianship records, and preserving military uniforms.
5) My CVGS colleague Pam passed two research articles to me from The Mayflower Descendant about the Cole and Collier families of Plymouth Colony, and I added the genealogy information, with sources, to my RootsMagic database.
8) AncestryDNA added 81 new DNA matches this past week, with 0 new ThruLines, and MyHeritage added 37 new DNA matches. Reviewed the new DNA matches on AncestryDNA, MyHeritageDNA, FamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe. Added Notes to 12 more AncestryDNA matches with cM values, relationships and known shared ancestors.
9) There were several sessions working in the RootsMagic software program to match with and update FamilySearch Family Tree profiles for Seaver families and my ancestral families, with occasional additions to the RootsMagic profiles. I have matched 42,052 of my RootsMagic persons with FamilySearch Family Tree profiles (up 83).
10) Used Web Hints and Record Matches from Ancestry, MyHeritage, Findmypast and FamilySearch to add content and source citations to my RootsMagic profiles. I now have 63,124 persons in my RootsMagic file (up 72), and 137,619 source citations (up 373). I TreeShared with my Ancestry Member Tree twice this week updating 234 profiles, and I resolved 1,109 Ancestry Hints. I also resolved 37 MyHeritage Record Matches. I’ve fallen behind on the Ancestry Record Hints with 149,940 to be resolved, but I work on them almost daily.
11) Wrote 17 Genea-Musings blog posts last week, of which one was a press release. The most viewed post last week was Blogger Outage on Friday 14 Mat 2021 with over 408 views. This had me panicked for several hours hat I lots three blog posts, including a 52 Ancestors post. Blogger reinstated them on Saturday morning without a real explanation.
12) We are still fine here at the Genea-cave, hunkered down and not going out much after Week 61 of COVID-19 isolation. The Padres season continues, and they are now 24-17, but we didn’t get to go on Saturday. We watched the 6 games on TV. I went to the grocery store on Monday and Friday. Linda went to the dental hygienist on Tuesday and I got a haircut (second since COVID!). We went to indoor church on Sunday and sat in the vaccinated and maskless section. Other than that, it was stay-at-home on the computer doing (mainly) genealogy, plus eating, sleeping, cleaning, cooking, and a little yard work.
The URL for this post is:
Copyright (c) 2021, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Genea-Musings https://www.geneamusings.com/
Posted On: May 17, 2021 at 05:17PM