Here are the highlights of my family history and genealogy related activities over the past week:
1) Attended the Chula Vista Genealogical Society (CVGS) Board meeting in a Zoom Meeting last Wednesday, and reported on the Research Group, DNA interest Group, and the April Newsletter.
2) Wrote, edited and published the 13 page issue of the CVGS "Family History Gazette" newsletter for April 2021 :
3) Attended the San Diego Genealogical Society (SDGS) Zoom Webinar on Saturday, featuring Shannon Christmas giving two presentations, "The Proof is in Evidence: Use DNA to Research Colonial American Ancestors" and "Let The Circle Be Unbroken: Reconnect African American families with DNA."
4) Attended today’s Mondays With Myrt webinar. The panel discussed what we didn’t know about, and the mistakes we made, early in our research, such as sourcing, importance of witnesses, noting all of the information in a record, not using a research log, software limitations, etc. Other topics included Crista’s Facebook post about having an error in a 2nd great-grandparents ancestry, the Wacky Wednesday census series, the 1950 US census release in a year, the PBS "Atlantic Crossing" series, MyHeritage Deep Nostalgia feature, and more.
7) AncestryDNA added 114 new DNA matches this past week, with five new ThruLines, and MyHeritage added 21 new DNA matches. Reviewed the new DNA matches on AncestryDNA, MyHeritageDNA, FamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe. Added Notes to 5 more AncestryDNA matches with cM values, relationships and known shared ancestors, and added seven ThruLines to RootsMagic.
8) There were several sessions working in the RootsMagic software program to match with and update FamilySearch Family Tree profiles for Seaver families and my ancestral families, with occasional additions to the RootsMagic profiles. I have matched 41,522 of my RootsMagic persons with FamilySearch Family Tree profiles (up 112).
9) Used Web Hints and Record Matches from Ancestry, MyHeritage, Findmypast and FamilySearch to add content and source citations to my RootsMagic profiles. I now have 62,729 persons in my RootsMagic file (up 139), and 136,104 source citations (up 256). I TreeShared with my Ancestry Member Tree twice this week updating 285 profiles, and I resolved 1,868 Ancestry Hints. I’ve fallen behind on the Ancestry Record Hints with 149,531 to be resolved, but I work on them almost daily.
11) We are still fine here at the Genea-cave, hunkered down and not going out much after Week 56 of COVID-19 isolation. I went to the grocery store on Monday and Friday, and it wasn’t too busy. I went to 99 Cent Store, Dollar Tree and Costco during the week. We both went to the medical center for lab work on Wednesday. We went masked to outdoor church on Sunday and talked to and fist bumped some friends. The Padres season continues, and they are now 7-3, and we had the first no-hitter in Padres history (53 seasons) on Friday. Other than that, it was stay-at-home on the computer doing (mainly) genealogy, plus eating, sleeping, cleaning, cooking, and a little yard work – I got the back yard mowed after 9 months of growing weeds.
The URL for this post is:
Copyright (c) 2021, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Genea-Musings https://www.geneamusings.com/
Posted On: April 12, 2021 at 05:53PM