CensusGenie alerts US researchers to the fact that they need not wait until the 1950 name index is available months after the 1 April 2022 release of the images. You will be able to search by enumeration district (ED) if you follow the work Joel Weintraub and his team did using 1950 census enumeration maps.
- Joel digitized them (32k images) and donated the images to NARA, who could not provide a complete set of microfilm. (!!!)
- Joel’s volunteer team inventoried the streets within each 1950 enumeration district (ED).
- Joel collaborated with Steve Morse to produce a searchable “One-Step”1950 Census database of states, cities, street names and the ED(s) where each street name exists in a city.
- Find the ancestor’s street address in a 1949 city directory or other document, then pray they didn’t move.
- Search Steve Morse’s One-Step 1950 database to determine the ED(s) where that street was enumerated.
- On day 1 of 1950 census image availability, search the applicable ED(s), not the entire city in question.
7 Apr 2021
- 14 Apr 2021
- 21 Apr 2021
1 Apr 2022 (daily)
Your friend in genealogy
Source: DearMYRTLE’s Genealogy Blog https://blog.dearmyrtle.com/
Posted On: April 17, 2021 at 02:55PM